Inside My Sketchbook

I think it's important for visual artists to create and maintain a sketchbook. I treat mine like a combination between a scrapbook, sketchbook, and diary. I pretty much have it with me all of the time. My son carries around a blanket, and I almost feel like my sketchbook is the adult equivalent of that sense of security.

Here are a few sample pages from my sketchbook:

1.) This page is a collection of forms that I like. I looked at a lot of pots in books and pottery magazines to collect these images. I created some silhouettes on white paper and glued them on to some colored post-its. I regularly look at this page while I'm throwing and trimming.

2.) Idea gathering. Some pages are really just a collection of lots of random ideas. I have all sorts of post-it notes, printouts, quick sketches, etc. on these pages.

3.) The top left is a reflection/self-critique of a glaze firing. The right page is more a formal idea gathering. I read an article on the chemical 2,4-D (commonly found in grass fertilizer/weed killer combinations) which led me to research it more thoroughly. I cut out parts of the article and wrote down some additional notes. I did some sketches of cups that were inspired by this research at the bottoms of the pages.

4.) This page is an example of some designs I'm trying. I cut the silhouettes out of white paper and glued them into my sketchbook. Using black Micron pens, gel pens, and watercolor, I created some mock-ups of cups I want to make. Being a mom of young kids means I have to be very intentional and careful with my studio time. It helps me to have a plan for each day. I do make spontaneous decisions, but use these as a starting point.

5.) In the back of my sketchbook, I collect postcards and photos from artists I admire. I also collect quotes and pieces of artist statements that I like. Here's a few I have written down:
"I like to think of my work as quietly infused with meaning" -Jill Bonovitz
"I think some of the work now is humorous enough to make people forgive me for the rest of the work." -Jenny Holzer

6.) I also collect techniques, tips, glaze recipes, etc. I cut a lot of these out of pottery magazines.

Comments