Glazing Issues

Full disclosure, I hate glazing. I tend to be an impulsive person who moves quickly, qualities that work against me when I am glazing pots. Actually, these qualities work against me when I'm doing anything with pottery. I tend to have a higher percentage of failures than most. A few examples- last summer, I did some extensive glaze testing with a few mason stains. I found a few colors I liked and went to order them from Columbus Clay. While looking through their catalog, I found colors that I thought I would like better and ordered them. Did I test them? Of course not...I made a 3,000 gram batch of each and glazed some pots. Well, the pink was awful and the yellow was too yellow so a batch of pots were ruined. I probably won't learn my lesson though.

Anyways, I've been wanting to glaze my pots with a more than one color for a while. I've done this with some success by first masking off part of the pot with liquid latex, pouring glaze, then masking the glazed part off with wax resist, then dipping the pot in glaze. This is very time and labor intensive. I thought that I could speed the process up by brushing my glazes on. However, the glazes that I use are formulated for dipping, not brushing. After some research, I decided to try Amaco's gum solution.

Amaco recommends mixing a tablespoon of the solution with a pint of glaze and then adding more as needed. I probably used about 1.5 tablespoons per pint. This actually worked pretty well. The glaze doesn't look as smooth as if it were dipped, but it worked much better than trying to paint with my regular glaze. After it dried, I painted some wax resist over it, let it dry overnight, and dipped as usual. I'll update with the results after I fire! Here are photos of the brushed glaze and then with the wax over it.